What is the legal state of the TUROK IP?

Discussion in 'Turok' started by Risen, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Risen

Risen New Member

Hello people!

I´ve been a big Turok fan since my childhood. I´m very satisfied with Nightdives remasters of Turok 1 and 2.
    However, I´ve been asking myself for quite some time now:

In what state is the Turok IP at the moment?
    I can´t seem to find any reliable information.

As Nightdive Studios has developed the remasters, I thought the best thing would be to ask on their forums.
    I hope some user here or maybe even one of the developers may answer my questions.

1. Who is the current owner of the Turok IP? I´ve read that Dreamworks Classics would be the current owner, but I couldn´t verify that statement

2. Can the Turok IP be purchased or is it maybe free for use?

3. Is there any possibility that Nightdive might develop an new Turok Game (Not Remaster)? Is this even possible, regarding the legal situation?

As I´ve already said, I´m a big Turok fan and I´ve been hungering for a new game in the franchise ever since the release of the 2008 Reboot. (Very sad that the Sequel to this game was cancelled).
    What is the probability of a brand new Turok game? Maybe someone from Nightdive might have some answers for me. I´d be very, very grateful!!!

Greetings,

Risen!

2. Shaun Gupta

Shaun Gupta Moderator Staff Member

I don't have a ton of details for you, but this information is from the Turok section of Discord:

Randy272705/01/2018

my understanding is it was originally developed by iguana and published by acclaim, nightdive acquired the rights, made it run on modern machines and xbox and improved the graphics/other aspects of the game and publishes it(edited)

Badger05/01/2018

Thank you :D

ah the turok story

okay, so iguana entertainment made turok: dh on the n64 and pc some 20 years ago

a decade and so later, a man by the name of Samuel "Kaiser" Virreal

started a recreation of Turok on his own, this was known as "Turok Ex"

he was dehashing and lookin and trying to unlock the codes

this was back in 2013 i think

he got in but it was painfully tedious to put stuff together

then Nightdive contacted him and basically said "yo, we like what your seeing, we got the IP for turok, ect., wanna work for us?"

Kaiser accepted, he handpicked his network of talented programmers to create NDS: The Turok Team

Stephen (CEO)05/01/2018

That's pretty much it [​IMG]

Badger05/01/2018

lol

Stephen (CEO)05/01/2018

Someone on the original Turok team heard what we were doing and sent us the source code for both Turok and Turok 2

Which sped things up considerably

3. Risen

Risen New Member

First of all, thank you a lot for the fast anwser!
    Very interesting information.

So, does this mean that Nightdive is the owner of the Turok IP?
    Meaning, Nightdive has the option to develop a new Turok Game?
    Is this confirmed? :)

4. Shaun Gupta

Let me see if I can get a firm answer for you as I'm not 100%. But from my reading of that, and the confirmation by Stephen, I think so.

5. Krash

Krash New Member

I looked into this briefly a few months ago, and I'm pretty sure the long and short of it in the end amounted to what you'll find on the bottom of the store page for the games: "Turok" is ultimately owned by Penguin/Random House, and Comcast/Universal currently holds the license and the rights to the old comics. I'm not sure on the specifics of who owns what pieces of the content developed under Acclaim's umbrella, but the franchise itself is under the wing of some very large publishers... unless there was some ace negotiation very recently.

6. Shaun Gupta

As Krash suggested, it may be more complicated than we're aware of as I don't think NDS can make further comment on that particular IP at the moment. I'm sure if any noteworthy developments happen (such as a new game down the road, etc.), there'll be a fairly big announcement, but there's no further information right at the moment either way.