What else are you playing?

Discussion in 'Silly Hats Only' started by Xiphan, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Xiphan

Xiphan New Member

IT Support
    Since we still have a ways to go before we get our hands on System Shock I figured I'd ask what everyone else is playing to pass the time?

At the moment I am currently playing Grim Dawn: Ashes of Malmouth, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Dota 2.

2. Andre

Andre Moderator Staff Member

I just finished playing Through The Woods.

Through the Woods was amazing. It started off slow but then got really interesting about half way through.

3. shmerl

shmerl New Member

Just finished Noctropolis (after it was released for Linux on GOG). Now continuing The Witcher 3 (in Wine).

4. LDClaudius

LDClaudius Member

Just played ARMA III at this time.

Wash Washburne likes this.
  5. Shaun Gupta

Shaun Gupta Moderator Staff Member

I'm about 3/4 through Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I still have a ton to do in Fallout 4. So those are my two open world games.

In between, I'm working on Wolfenstein: The Old Blood as well as The New Order and after that probably The New Colossus as somehow I missed playing these games.

As far as just finished, I finished The Observer (relatively short) not that long ago, and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided before that.

6. Flatfingers

Flatfingers Member

After some time revisiting Skyrim and Fallout 4, I've a second playthrough of Dishonored 2 (this time as Emily).

I should be working on my own game or music projects during this time when there are no major new immersive simulations on the horizon.

But perhaps I can be forgiven a short break....

7. Shaun Gupta

Shaun Gupta Moderator Staff Member

Finished Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (and loved it - it's linear, but meant to be). Probably working on Wolfenstein: The New Order next, but perhaps some more Zelda in between. I also really want to play Ori & the Blind Forest at some point.

8. shmerl

shmerl New Member

Just bought West of Loathing.

9. amurshock

amurshock Member

Trying to get those three finished at some point:

Nercopolis (Harebrained Schemes)
    Perception (The Deep End Games)
    Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (LucasArts)

I'm also on my second playthrough of The Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt.
    + if a macOS release of Turok 2 were to hit GOG, I'd probably ... yeah, I would :rolleyes:

10. Flatfingers

Flatfingers Member

Weirdly, I feel considerably more angst about starting a new playthrough of Witcher 3 than I did about replaying Skyrim when the Special Edition was released.

And that's despite the fact that while I spent well over 100 hours in TW3 (including DLC), I had 300+ hours in original Skyrim before I ever added any mods. So despite my greater time investment in a single campaign of Skyrim, it felt easier to start a new playthrough there than to start over again with Witcher 3.

Why?

My guess is that the narrative of Witcher 3 was much stronger than that of Skyrim. That's not a knock on BethSoft. While these are both big open-world CRPGs, Geralt's character is much more well-defined in the content of The Witcher 3 itself versus the freedom of the player to role-play the character of The Last Dragonborn in Skyrim.

More specifically, the story of Geralt and Ciri in Witcher 3 actually got to me emotionally at times. That's extremely unusual in a computer game, but it is the case here -- CDPR did an outstanding job, at least for me. Skyrim was always more of a mechanical hack-n-slash game; I could pour more hours into it because punching draugr and being pushed around by Daedra demanded (and rewarded) less from me than revealing the evil and kindness of characters in Geralt's world.

The mechanical complexity of character-building is more detailed and more meaningful in TW3 than in Skyrim, both in terms of innate power as well as gear-collection. (The increasing simplicity of the RPG aspects of The Elder Scrolls games, as in the Mass Effect games, is pretty visible.) So it's possible that having to make all the choices again for Geralt's abilities seems more daunting, and thus argues against a new Witcher 3 playthrough. But that doesn't seem like the right answer; I expect I'd make many of the same choices in the new playthrough as I did in the initial one -- I made those choices because they supported the way I like to play CRPGs, and that hasn't changed.

It does seem to come down more to what might be called "emotional friction": there's more of it in TW3 than in Skyrim. Curiously, The Witcher 3 being a better game narratively makes it harder for me to go through the many twists and turns of that story again.

11. shmerl

shmerl New Member

I'm still in the beginning of The Witcher 3 (finished the prologue in White Orchard, and now exploring Velen). I had to stop though since I'm playing it on Linux using Wine, and Wine developers recently added a patch to fix distorted and invisible monsters, but it introduces a regression that freezes the GPU. So I'm waiting for the fix. Once that is fixed, it should be practically fully playable on Linux.

12. amurshock

amurshock Member

I have never played Skyrim since I disliked Morrowind so much when it came out in the early 2000s. From what I've seen, Skyrim appears to be sandboxy and shallow. What I expect from games is a great narrative, interesting player choices and fun gameplay systems. There's a ton of games that completely focus on the gameplay aspect (think all the MOBAs) and, for some reason, these games are unable to hold my attention for more than a few hours. To give you an example: I played Overwatch for less than 3 hours, 2 weeks after it came out. Haven't touched it since.

The Witcher 3 took me about 230 hours to complete, incl. all the DLCs and treasures etc. on the map. I just want to experience the story again and get the final 2 achievements that I missed, without going through the grindy parts again. I enjoy this second playthrough immensely and it doesn't bore me at all. It does so many things so incredibly well. And yes, the game toys with your emotions - not only between Geralt and Ciri, but with many of the characters. There's no greater thing in gaming when games play with your emotions like that. System Shock did this. Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite had done it too. Also the Portal series managed to do this masterfully.

13. shmerl

shmerl New Member

You should play first two Witcher games as well. They are great.

Wash Washburne likes this.
  14. amurshock

amurshock Member

I know. Finished them before even playing The Witcher 3.

15. Wash Washburne

Wash Washburne New Member

Hey friends, I'm currently all about Total War: Warhammer II, Vermintide 2 and Elite Dangerous, just finished Witcher 3 and I was going through withdrawals until Cyberpunk 2077 trailer, hehe things might be all rite after all