Nightdive Studios: Make DOSBox an option on Steam, or at least provide the original .exe, please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skafsgaard, May 30, 2017.

1. Skafsgaard

Skafsgaard New Member

Hey Nightdive Studios!

EDIT: The game I'm talking about is I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream.
    Thanks to Shaun Gupta for pointing out that I actually failed to mention that.

I really appreciate that you've migrated to the generally superior ScummVM on Steam.
    It's regrettable that DOSBox doesn't remain an option, however.

The reason I need to run the game through DOSBox is that I want to play the game on my NVIDIA Shield, but NVIDIA's gamestream won't work with ScummVM. I know that DOSBox works just fine in that regard.

I'd quite like it if you made DOSBox still an option. Either as an alternate launch option, or as a "beta" branch. I feel like that would be ideal.
    Failing that, would you at least provide the full original game files, which includes the game .exe? That way I could at least set it up to run with DOSBox on my own. Currently it's impossible for me to run it through DOSBox, since the .exe is missing - I assume you've removed it, because ScummVM has no need for it.

I'm really happy that you're providing a classic like this to us - something that'd be near impossible to get legally otherwise. And I appreciate that you're making it easily accessible by packaging it with ScummVM. It feels a bit off, however, that all of the original files aren't provided, preventing us from running it how we'd like, to suit our needs - such as streaming it to the NVIDIA Shield.

Well, I hope you'll listen.
    Have a good one! :)

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  2. Shaun Gupta

Shaun Gupta New Member Staff Member

Hey there,

Unless I'm missing something, you should be able to play the DOSBox version. My Steam copy of Enhanced also has (as a separate listing) System Shock: Classic, which actually has a few DOSBox options - the CD version and the Floppy one (granted, I'm assuming without the enhanced resolutions or mouselook). I just ran it and verified it is opening in DOSBox.

In addition, you should be able to access the original files. For me, it's in:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SS1

Hope this is helpful!

P.S. I just realized you didn't mention which game. I assumed System Shock given its classic nature, but if it's something else like Turok, I can't attest to that.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  3. Skafsgaard

Skafsgaard New Member

Damn, I can't believe I left out which game I was talking about. I originally posted in the game's Steam Community forum, and pretty much just copy pasted here, for increased visibility.
    I'm an idiot. The game is I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream. I'll edit it in.

Thanks for making me aware of this incredible mistake!

4. Shaun Gupta

Shaun Gupta New Member Staff Member

No worries. In that case, my advice above isn't helpful - sorry! (I browsed the game files and see what you mean about no original executable.) But hopefully someone from NDS development sees your request. =)

5. StephenKick

StephenKick Administrator

CEO of Nightdive
    I think we can include the original .exe in the Steam depot - lemme ask one of the devs and we'll see if we can throw it in there for you :)

6. Skafsgaard

Skafsgaard New Member

No worries, Shaun - hardly your fault. Plus, your assumption that I was talking about SS1 was a good one. Arguably one of their most prominent rereleases and touchups. :)

Stephen, you're amazing! Thank you so much for listening to your customers and fans - I really appreciate it. Devs like that are far and few between. :)