Introducing Myself: LeatherNeck

Discussion in 'System Shock' started by LeatherNeck, Jun 10, 2018.

1. LeatherNeck

LeatherNeck New Member

Hello everyone, I am LeatherNeck. A little about myself, married, 3 children, 6 grandchildren. Spent 4 years in the United States Marine Corps, 1974-1978. I have always been a gamer and now at 60 years old I still game. I am and electronic technician for thirty years now, and study programming as a hobby. Maybe I could get into game development as a hobby in my retirement. I recently found System Shock on steam. This is a game I played back in the dos days. I am playing the enhanced version right now and it works perfectly. Exactly as I remember the original dos game. Of cours today I have a 4.0 gigahertz machine, thirty two gigs of ram, and a GeForce titanium video card. Oh yeah and a 4K gaming monitor. And SShock is rocking. Anyway here I am, glad to meet everyone.

2. Flatfingers

Flatfingers Member

Welcome aboard, LeatherNeck! Good to have one of the teufelshunds around in case anybody gets too rowdy. ;)

I also played the original System Shock, and I have to say I like the Enhanced version a bit better: it's nice to have slightly better graphics, but I find it much nicer to be able to use WASD+mouselook now.

If you check out the other threads here, you'll see that NightDive (who were able to recover the rights to System Shock, which is why it and System Shock 2 are available on GOG now) are working on recreating the original game in a modern engine. You can see how that's going in some threads here, but at the moment there's more activity in NightDive's Discord chat channel: https://discordapp.com/channels/190583485826727936/373020882492456961

Enjoy!