All I ever knew was SS2...

Discussion in 'System Shock Classic' started by amurshock, Mar 9, 2017.

1. amurshock

amurshock New Member

Now, at the age of 30, I'm currently on my first playthrough through SS1. The Enhanced Edition is a real treat (it runs natively on Windows, which is huge) and the learning curve isn't as steep as one would expect from a 23 year old game. For anyone hesitating to play, I'd recommend to jump in and just see how it goes. Yes it looks dated, yes the interface is cluttered and clunky, but this thing still has a lot to offer. It's kind of cool to see so many systems, which are still relevant today, in a game this old (dropable items, audio logs, the way the story is being told). Shock feels like a dungeon crawler in space to me, including secrets and a badass-monster lurking at the end. And this is pretty much how I feel about System Shock 2 as well.

When I was 13 years old, my monthly gaming magazine which I subscribed to at the time, wrote a review about System Shock 2 and what a unique blend of different genres it was. The screenshots looked intriguing (despite the fact, that the graphics already got criticized for their low resolution and washed out textures at the time) and so I went ahead and bought the game on launch day. To make things short, the mutants and the ghostly holograms scared the crap out of me and I never made it past medical. Since money, for some reason, wasn't a big issue for me in my early teens, I was able to bring home a full-priced game every 4 or 5 weeks, so I dropped a lot of games and barely finished any (if ever). This sealed the fate of SS2 (plus I would have never been able to finish it anyway,... too scared).

Then in my mid to late 20s, Nightdive Studios re-released Shock 2 and all the memories came back. What a great game it was, what a first level. I just had to buy it again and finally play through the whole thing properly. And I did.

Looking up info on Shock 2 revealed what a struggle it was to revive the franchise and get the license issues in order. And I thought how cool it would be if I could get my hands on a digital copy of Shock 1 and play that as well. I remembered playing DOOM for the first time in 2013 and what a blast it was, so playing another game this old didn't seem like that much of an issue. My first video games were purely on consoles (Super Nintendo, N64) and I hardly remember playing anything on PC, simply because we didn't have one until I got to 6th grade. Hence I didn't play a whole bunch of stuff many a gamer at my age played at that time (Ron Gilbert's games, Wing Commander and so forth *wink*).

To sum it up it feels great to be able to go back and enjoy some of the classics. It can get a bit hardcore if games are from the late 80s or very early 90s. But Shock 1 is very much playable and enjoyable today.

Thanks Nightdive and everyone involved for your work! Since I backed the remake, it felt like the right time to dive into Shock 1 and enjoy it before the remake is out. I encourage everyone who missed out on the first game to do the same. At least take in the setting and atmosphere of the hospital level, in case those pixel-cyborgs give you the creeps.